Click here for a great selection of Amazon.com books about the American Revolution.
Introduction - American Revolutionary War GeneralsIt should be noted that there were 2 ranks of generals in the Continental Army, not including the Commander-in-Chief George Washington. These ranks were Brigadier General and ranking above that was Major General. It should be noted that in today's U.S. army there is also the rank of Lieutenant General which is higher than Major General. There were no officers with the rank of Lieutenant General during the American Revolutionary War; although George Washington did make this request several times during the war.
List of American Revolutionary War Generals
- George Washington - was Commander-in-chief of the Continental Army. He was an excellent military commander who had gained experience by serving in the British army. After The Revolution he went on to become the first president of the United States of America.
- Nathanael Greene - he was a major general in the Continental Army and was George Washington's most dependable and valued officer. He played a crucial role in numerous battles of the Revolution especially in the Southern Campaign which forced the British out of the Carolinas.
- Marquis de Lafayette - was a French officer who volunteered for the Continental Army. He would eventually be promoted to Major General in the Continental Army. He became good friends with George Washington and participated in numerous battles. In 1781 he played a crucial role at the decisive Battle of Yorktown.
- Benedict Arnold - His name will always be synonymous with treason. However before he turned traitor he was an excellent general serving under George Washington.
- Daniel Morgan - He led the colonist to victory at the crucial Battle of the Cowpens and also played an important role at The Battle of Saratoga.
- Louis Duportail - was a French military officer who served as a volunteer in the Continental Army for which he was the chief engineer. He played an important role in the war and General Washington often sought his advice. By 1781 he had rose to the rank of Major General.
- Horatio Gates -was a Major General who helped win the important First Battle of Saratoga and the Second Battle of Saratoga however in 1780 he lost the Battle of Camden.