IntroductionThere was no shortage of heroes during the American Revolution. There were many brave men and women who risked their lives to win independence from Britain for the American colonies. In this section of American Revolutionary War facts we list interesting American Revolution hero facts and information. We will be listing many of the famous people most of who are familiar to any kid who has ever read a history book. However we want to mention that there are many heroes whose names have been lost to history. These were people who faced off against the powerful British army in such places as Lexington and Concord, and Bunker Hill.
Click here for a great selection of Amazon.com American Revolutionary War hero books.
List of American Revolution Heroes
- George Washington - This amazing military commander led the Continental Army to victory. He went on to become the first president of the United States of America.
- Thomas Jefferson - He was one of the main writers of the Declaration of Independence which he also signed. He went on to become the third President of the United States of America.
- Benjamin Franklin - He is one of the most famous Founding Fathers of the United States. He played a critical role in obtaining foreign assistance from France.
- Esther DeBerdt Reed - She led a group of women who provided aid for the colonial army.
- Nathanael Greene - A general in the Continental Army he fought alongside George Washington at many battles including the battle of Trenton.
- Samuel Adams - He was a leader of the movement for independence. He organized economic boycotts of British goods and was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
- John Hancock - He was president of the Continental Congress which controlled the American war effort. He was a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- John Adams - This founding father was a member of the Continental Congress which led the American war effort. He helped draft the Declaration of Independence. He went on to become the second president of the United States.
- Abigail Adams - The wife of John Adams; she helped him with many of the important decisions he made during the war. She also helped provide the Continental Army with food and shelter.
- Marquis de Lafayette - This French citizen was appointed as a major general in the Continental Army. He spent the brutal winter of 1777 - 1778 at Valley Forge with George Washington. He played an important part in the final major battle of the war at Yorktown.
- Ethan Allen - This American Revolution hero is best known for assisting in the capture of Fort Ticonderoga in upstate New York.
- Paul Revere - This hero of the American Revolution is famous for alerting the Colonist that the British army was coming before the battles of Lexington and Concord.
- Mary Draper - This heroine helped the soldiers of the Continental Army by providing them with food, clothing, and ammunition. In facts she melted down her own pewter platters and mugs to make bullets for the soldiers.
- Margaret Catharine Moore - Helped General Morgan defeat British General Cornwallis at the Battle of Cowpens; a key battle towards the end of the war.
- John Paul Jones - This naval commander uttered the famous words "I have not yet begun to fight" when asked to surrender by a British captain.